Sunday, February 8, 2015

Renovation Reality... More projects

Here's the post with more projects for our 'Bohemian Dream Room'. I hope you're impressed. But if you're not, that's alright because I am, and really that's all that counts. Hahaha. Well, I am the one who has to live with the finished product, you know. 

First I will share our groovy dresser redo. I have other similar examples that gave me the idea on my Pinterest, so be sure to check them out @patoconnor. 

We had two great chests of drawers that used to be in our finished basement, so when we redid things down there we saved the dressers for when we finally redid our room. 
BTW that's one of the greatest ways to save money when renovating. Repurpose things you already have!!  
One of the dressers, which is more like an armoir, we left original and just changed out the knobs.
  I know it's nothing exciting, but a nice piece all the same. 

The other chest had some damage on top, so we eventually decided to use spray paint, but to leave some of the chest in its original finish because it still looked good. We picked out purple, orange and turquoise. We would've used gray too, but the curtains are gray, so I wanted more contrast.  In the end we also added off white, and I really love the results. By just using a light coat of spray paint and letting the finish show through, it gives the piece a little more rustic, yet sophisticated look. 
  Out in the shop, looking kind of ragged without the drawers!
      The finished product looking super cool, doncha think?

The next project was done by using the wood lathe strips that came from tearing out the walls in the room. I had seen, yes on Pinterest, tons of cool pallet signs and wanted to recreate that look. I also had in mind a couple of favorite song lyrics to use. I began by deciding on the size I needed to have Saint Handy-Jim cut the wood strips into.  Sorry, I didn't save measurements, but you can recreate the process with any wood, any size I'm sure. 
  
    I hot glued them together and then had Jim staple gun them for extra strength. 

To get the finished look, I lightly dry-brushed them (again going for a rustic look) with acrylic paint. The next step was to use paint markers (found at Michael's) to write the words. I added some flat fancy beads to one of them as well. The first one is going on the door to the room, and the other is on the wall above the groovy painted dresser!  

  Not super 'professional', but I like! And very romantic, right? 

Btw, since we're on the subject of walls, here is a photo of a great piece of art that I bought from The Shared Lives Studio in downtown Toledo.   
 http://shop.lottindustries.com/studio.html

    So GROOVY   The perfect compliment to our theme!!! 

That's all I have for now, next step is redoing some items for bedside tables. I found some interesting pieces at the Maumee Antique mall yesterday.   http://maumeeantiquemall.com
 I will share more as soon as I can. 
Happy Sundayfunday 
Pat



No comments:

Post a Comment