Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our Renovation Reality - part 1

Have you heard of the show 'Renovation Realities'?  Well, over the years we have certainly had our share of those!  Like when during our kitchen redo, my husband, Jim, had a heart attack. Seriously, that was way too real for me.  Thankfully he is well now and our kitchen is perfect!


Our home was built in 1918 and we are forever redoing something. And it is inevitable that there is a twist along the way.  Nothing is even or square or... You get the picture.  We are currently in the process of renovating a main floor bedroom.  
We had planned it for a long time, but it's even more necessary now because our daughter and her 3 girls (you can see these beauties in the family picture on this page) will be living with us for at least a year while she works on a masters degree.  
This redo is for us, but we will also be transforming the dormer for them.  This will begin my attempt to share our (hopefully) positive renovation reality!

So...Here's the beginning of the redo of what will be our 'new' bedroom...
 

This is a design I knocked into the plaster when beginning to tear it all out.  Takes great talent, don't you think?  Well, I do, so I'm going to get a copy of this pic and frame it for the room! 

Here you can see some of the mess we have created during the process.  It is a very dirty job tearing out almost 100 year old plaster and lath boards. So far I've only stepped on one nail that went through my shoe! Ouch
  
   

Even more dirty is when the ceiling is coming down along with the nasty bits of insulation from the old days.  Masks and safety glasses are in use, don't worry! 
But, It is a MESS...
Now the walls are open and we are waiting to have a sliding glass door installed.  Today when cleaning up Jim found these old bread wrappers in the wall...  
   

So cool! I love those kinds of finds, although cash would have been much better.  Well, after some internet searching (I'm a lover of finding answers), I found that the bakery that made both was established in 1911.  Proof enough for me that someone stuffed them there when the house was being finished.  He also found a dried up piece of banana peel. Ewwww, at least no critters were with it!!

That's all I've got to share right now, but I'll be sure to keep you updated on our progress.  Check back soon y'all :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment